Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Neng Myun

As the hot weather begins again I feel the yearning for cool foods, in both senses of the word. Salads, sandwiches, even burgers, but especially cold soups. Nothing kills a heat wave like an ice cold dinner fresh from the fridge, and few meals are a suited to this temperature as soup.
Shelly, my friend from high school, used to go on and on about this soup her mum made with noodles and ice cubes. For those of you that don't know, Korean mums are some of the worlds best cooks, right up there with Filipino mums and a few other select ethnic groups. You kids are so lucky. Anyhow, I never had the chance to try this soup until two weeks ago. I had attempted to order it on two occasions, only to be brick walled by the language barrier. On both occasions I got cold noodles minus the soup. The waitresses on both occasions explained that they thought cold soup was too wierd for me. So whatever you do make sure you ask, nay, demand, that this be soup, the noodles by themselves come with gochu jang (sweet hot bean paste) and they are just too stodgy (trust me, I have respectfully tried to choke down two bowls of these noodles).

So, if/when you do get Neng Myun, you can expect a vinegared beef broth with ice cubes floating in it, some chewy Korean noodles, a hard boiled egg, and some julienned cuke or daikon, oh , and a few slices of beef. I always ask for hot sauce on the side, with everything.

So far I have only had Neng myun at Restaurant Seoul (5030 Sherbrooke W. & Claremont) but they must be out there somewhere else.. if you find them elsewhere please let me know!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Tim said...

next time you should ask for "mul neng myun"... "mul" stands for water and added to "neng myun" you are specifying that you want the one made with the cold soup.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home